Brilliant, we have secured you the interview… now all you need to do is turn up and get the job! If only it was that easy.
In today’s highly competitive job market, there is a good probability that you will be up against some tough opposition. Your Verse Group consultant will share what information they can, regarding the organisation, position, role responsibilities and the reason the role exists. In addition, we often provide feedback and advice to you where relevant, based on our own observations from interview and screening discussions with you.
Once you Know the What, Where and Why…
It is important that you take ownership of how you prepare and perform in front of the client.
In the majority of instances the interviewer doesn’t know you or your capability. They have your resume outlining your skills and experience, along with the information communicated by your Verse Group consultant, the interview is your opportunity to convey your relevant skills and experience and the person behind the resume.
Some Essential Tips
- Do research the company, they might be your next employer. We can help you, however the company’s website and wider internet searches may provide additional useful information.
- Understand the role that you are being interviewed for, make sure you can demonstrate real life examples in your recent work history demonstrating they key responsibilities and challenges of the particular role you are being interviewed for. If part of a team, communicate what role you actually performed, be sure to know your key achievements and ultimate outcome.
- Make sure you know your CV, read and review thoroughly. It is essential that you can accurately articulate your roles, responsibilities, work history and key achievements in related roles.
- If it’s in your resume, make sure you can fluidly demonstrate your experience and understanding of skills, software packages, technologies, methodologies and frameworks.
- Be prepared for scenario and behavioural interview techniques; i.e. you may be asked to provide examples of:
- How you dealt with certain scenarios such has dealing with difficult or confrontational individuals or situations.
- Failing projects or deadlines, what was the situation, what was put in place to rectify, what was the outcome and importantly what part did you play throughout. It’s also good to think of and mentally file examples with both positive and negative outcomes, including end results and what you learned from the experience.
- Never forget, an interview is a two-way conversation and process. Be sure to ask pertinent questions in relation to the role, expectations and foreseen challenges along with relevant questions about the organisation, company culture, direction and future opportunity.
You Never get a Second Chance to Make a First Impression
- Make sure you know the exact location of the interview, and allow yourself ample travel time to arrive a few minutes early. If the location is new to you, a trial run is a great exercise.
- Dress appropriately, speak with your Verse Group consultant to best gauge the client’s expectation.
- A firm handshake, smile and eye contact is usually a good start.
- Confidence is great, over-confidence can be detrimental.
- Remain professional throughout the entire interview process, a good rapport with your interviewer is great, however being too familiar is simply not appropriate in a job interview.
- Listen carefully and understand the interviewer’s questions, do ask for clarification if you are unsure of the question. Provide relevant responses that are directly answering the question.
- Be yourself and be honest in regards to your work history and experience.
- Never talk negatively or make derogatory remarks about previous or current employer, manager or colleagues.
- Don’t be tempted to bring up the subject of salary or rates. If the interviewers ask you the question, it’s always a good idea to direct that conversation back to your Verse Group consultant.
- Last but not least, make sure you thank the interviewer for their time at the end of the interview.
Your Verse Group consultant is happy to discuss any area of your upcoming interview with you, to help you prepare.
After the Interview
Do call your Verse Group consultant with feedback on your interview.