The Design and Innovation Consultant is accountable for supporting the establishment of a human centred design approach to problem solving and innovation across the enterprise. The role will work closely with a diverse portfolio of stakeholders and teams, supporting them in running human centred design initiatives as well as providing training, tools and guidance on Human Centred Design approaches to problem solving and innovation. A key focus of this position is on facilitating the delivery of high-impact, innovative solutions using human centred design approaches – design thinking, lean start up, Theory U etc.
- Support the end to end delivery of design challenges using human centred design problem solving techniques.
- Facilitate Design Thinking and innovation workshops as part of problem solving challenges and/or innovation projects.
- Develop, implement and continually improve the human centred design capabilities by developing tailored tools and educating/coaching staff.
- Generate dynamic human centred design artefacts including but not limited to journey maps, empathy maps and storyboards.
- Responsible for sourcing and utilising secondary research, to generating, prototyping and testing creative solutions.
- Promote the design thinking capability organisation-wide, by developing relationships with internal and external service providers and leading a community of practice.
- Share experiences across communities of practice, business units, and networks on innovative approaches to solving business problems.
- Maintain currency of knowledge of the latest human centred design and problem solving tools and techniques. Activity looks for new ways to engage with communities of practice and bring knowledge back into the team.
- Ensure the viability and scalability of the design thinking discipline by coaching staff in current human centred design (i.e. design thinking and lean start-up) methodologies and tools.
- Enable, support & deliver the IT Engagement & Discovery Framework & toolsets.
- Enable & support the Solutions Development Framework & toolsets.
- Undertake other activities which the incumbent might reasonably be expected to do, and which are consistent with the accountabilities and responsibilities as listed above.
- A degree in a business or design related field with extensive relevant experience working in complex organisations; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
Experience and Skills
- Demonstrated ability in using design thinking methodologies with extensive experience in storyboards, human-centric flows, prototypes and testing methods.
- Demonstrated ability to manage uncomfortable challenges, embrace ambiguity and empathise with customers.
- Demonstrated highly developed project management and organisational skills with the ability to be agile and perform well under pressure.
- Demonstrated strong facilitation skills with the ability to run stakeholder workshops, presentations and communities of practice.
- Demonstrated strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills including the ability to collaborate and consult with a wide variety of staff at all levels; can communicate information to both individuals and groups clearly and professionally.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to look for creative solutions to challenging problems.
- Experience in product, service or solution design and development.